Monday, October 3, 2011

Change is in the air... Kinda

I know it's been a while, but here is the latest in the ramblings of a madman:

Another year has passed. How different are you now from how you were a year ago? The holiday season is back. This means another Halloween. Another Thanksgiving. Another Black Friday, Another Kwanzaa. Another Hanukkah. Another Christmas. Another New Year's celebration.

What has changed about you since the last time this season came around. Think of ten different ways you, personally, have changed. Out of those ten things, how many of them do you immediately think of as positive changes. Be honest. I'm not going to force you to put your answers in the comment box.


A friend of mine has a signature that reads "Life = Risk." Whenever I get a text from her, I remember to step back onto the edge. Risk it all and in everything that you do. Put everything on the line so that when you get your returns, they will be maximized. Like going all in all the time. I know it doesn't sound like sound advice, but look at it this way:

I have a dream. Any true dream compels the dreamer to turn this dream into a reality as quickly as possible and by any means necessary. You can keep this idea right here or twist it into some dark story riddled with insanity and being forced to makes some evil decision. I like to keep this on the brighter route. Let's relate this to money since we all understand it very clearly and, unfortunately, it's how most people measure success.

Consider the double payout. $10 becomes $20 or $100 becomes $200. At 4x payout, $10 becomes $40 and $100 becomes $400. Basically, the more you invest in something, the higher the payout. Then you can reinvest what you have and come out equally on top. On the other side of that coin, you can fail, but let's not let that be an option. Just like when you sit down in a chair, you don't question whether or not it will hold you up... unless you're heavy enough to consider the structural strengths and weaknesses of chairs...or if you have a mischievous member of your family that likes to sabotage chairs.

Let's bring it back.

Change.

Every day, week, month, year, something about us seems to change. A lot of people who have been out of my life for an extended period of time come back and see me years later when I am in a comfortable environment that I created for me. This also happened recently. Someone who knew me from a few years ago met up with me a few weeks ago and her perception of me was shattered. Nothing major had changed about me on the inside. There was just more of the "me" from the inside showing on the surface.

When I was growing up, I expressed myself within the boundaries of the, then, governing bodies in my life. As I grew older and discovered more about the kind of world I wanted to live in, I gave way to more personalized forms of expression. I'm still, overall, a very collected person on the outside. I'm also always running a million thoughts through my head at any point in time. If you got to watch me grow up, you would have easily realized that my brother and I were always bouncing ideas off of each other whether they were fictional or not. We would always expand every idea to the point that someone on the outside could no longer grasp what we were talking about. It was even better when we got our entire family unit in on it. Then, at the end of the conversation, we would trace our thoughts back to the original idea... if we could.

[Throws out a lasso and brings the point back in]

I'm still that same thinker. I just make my own rules to live be now. I'm living under my own roof... almost. But I choose where every dollar I get goes, where and how my clothing is organised, which shoes I wear today, how late I come home, whether or not I wear underwear today, how long my hair is, etc...

The more freedom I get (in any sense of the word), the more my self expression changes.

[Pulls lasso in closer]

Last year at this time, I didn't have a 100% steady place to live. I didn't even know if I would have to move on a weekly basis. So I changed. I worked more and now I'm locked into a 1 year lease, and the only thing I have to do is come up with the money every month. Sooner or later, I'll change to the point where I won't have to pay a monthly fee for a place to live, but I'll have my very own home.

That being said, nothing and everything has changed.
When I was "little" (ask my family, I was never really little... at least not for long) I wanted to have my own place/family/stuff.

Here I am today and I still am moving towards the same goal. The difference is how far along I am. The only difference is what is considered "time." I call it life. Stuff happens, then more stuff happens. There are even points during which stuff used to happen.

The most important thing to keep in mind to make sure you're always moving forward can be boiled down into a simple saying that I used a few days ago. It just came to me:

Today is. Yesterday was. Tomorrow will be. Live today. Remember yesterday. Exist tomorrow.


You can't push a string. -- JH

No comments:

Post a Comment