Wednesday, November 14, 2012

See How Far We've Come?

Today is November 14, 2012. Four days before my 24th birthday. A little over a year ago, I started going to school for massage therapy. I didn't know it then, but I would be spending the next year with a few interesting people who would be keeping each other afloat through the worst times and flying high through the best times.

 J-Dawg, K-Pitts, Jo-el, Falacia, Skizzle and I have been through thick and thin at this point. We've been there to help each other through everything the others have been through so far. At some point since we started school, we all have been homeless, jobless, tired, etc. and just didn't care to do what we had to do. Now the end is in sight and we have learned that we can count on each other and ourselves to pull us up when we have tripped or fallen. Though our methods may be considered crude, brash and unnecessarily vulgar, we haven't been afraid to tell the truth straightforwardly with no sugar coating at all.

I'm not going to give all the credit to ourselves like that, though. We've had a fair share of support from the classes that came before us and even those that come after us. People like Tylor, Dyane, Shannon, Yanvier, Carmen, Karen and so many more have been there to share their experiences with us and to support and be supported by us.

Above that, there have been teachers to help us along the way. Help to keep us on the path and be there when we need an administrative ear. Ms. R, Mrs. W, Mrs. B, Mr. C, Mr. H and yes, even Ms. C. You know who you are. They have been there since day 1 to help us in the right direction. Especially with the therapeutic discussions during Mrs. B's classes. Now, we are scarred for life. Not a maiming scar. More like a tattoo. One that has a meaning much deeper than the colours and shapes you can see with your eyes.

I almost forgot to mention the students in the other departments that have provided a much needed distraction from the classrooms we got so comfortable in.

All-in-all, I'm now living in my 5th place since I started school and working my 5th job. Almost all of the others have been through similar things. Me, not having my blood family nearby, some having their family shun their decisions and forcing them to move out. Two of us have brought new people into the world and still haven't missed too much because of that. And the last is still fresh out of high school and learning to have a head start on her future while dealing with problems all across the board.

If you put all our experiences of the past year together, this has been the most complicated year of any part of our lives thus far. It's all the year that we all took the initiative to move forward in a big way and to pursue the future we all want for ourselves.

Here I sit in the laundry room at school with the dryer humming in my right ear, waiting for my next client to arrive. I've settled my mind just a little more and now I'm ready to get back on track for the next month. If you hear from me, good. If you don't, just know I'm here strengthening the foundation on which I'll be building the rest of my life.

Don't forget that on January 27 @ 3pm EST, we will be walking the stage with a few of our favourite people. Please join us. It would mean the world to me.

Time to get back to my grind with my new-found family.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment